Bistriţa Castle dates from the XIII century, rebuilt during the XV and XVI centuries. The first Bistriţa Castle was built on Cetăţii Hill (“Burg” hill at 681m altitude) in XIII century, as evidenced by archaeological surveys from the years 1967 (Şt. Dănilă, History Pages, 2, 1972, p. 70-77). On a ground was found a coin from Stephen V (1272), a rare occasion in which dating of archaeological finds was possible precisely.
The 22 guilds in the locality built between 1464-1484 a whole town fortification, which was reinforced with ten towers (of coopers, wheelwrights, shoemakers, tailors, blacksmiths, saddlers, butchers, goldsmiths, carpenters and ropemaker), two bastions and three main entrance gates to the town (Wood Gate, Hospital Gate and Hungarian Gate). In 1464 the fortified town had 18 towers and bastions defended the town's traders organized in guilds. During this period Bistriţa becomes one of the most important cities in Transylvania together with Braşov, Sighişoara and Sibiu. From this large fortification remains a part of southern and eastern walls, together with Coopers’s Tower. Narrow pedestrian streets, linking the long sides of the castle yet keeps the burg’s authentic medieval atmosphere.
Bistriţa Castle was one of the strongest fortification in Transylvania and throughout history it has been one of the seven burgs around which other Saxon communities’ existence was also organized in Romania, Siebenbürgen.
- The album “Bistriţa - History, People and Culture” - Bistriţa 2011